Winter takes its toll on our bodies, but we don’t take care of ourselves as much as we do in the summer. We’re all familiar with summer-time warnings to apply sunscreen and cover up in the sun, but winter skin care just doesn’t get the same level of...
14 ways that gardening is good for your mental, physical and emotional health My father has always been an enthusiastic gardener. He really enjoys working in the garden, pruning something here and tying up a rosebush there. Another friend told me that her...
Now we’ve convinced you to join the growing trend of eating edible flowers, here are some of the easiest, simplest, and most delicious-looking edible flowers recipes we could find. I have to admit, I was a bit dismayed when I set out to look for edible...
Everything you need to know to start cooking with edible flowers. When you start including edible flowers into your diet, don’t feel restricted only to edible flower recipes. Edible flowers can be used to garnish almost any dish, especially salads and...
Flowers aren’t just for vases anymore! Here’s why you too should join the popular trend of cooking with edible flowers. One year when I was a child, we had a glut of nasturtiums in our garden. They were taking over the entire flowerbed and had to...
Bringing greenery & plants in your home isn’t just beautiful, it’s also good for you. I’ve been learning from an interior designer friend all about a new design trend, which isn’t really that new at all. It’s called biophilia,...
A woman over 50 who is:
Not physically active needs about 1600 calories a day
Somewhat physically active needs about 1800 calories a day
Very active needs about 2000 calories a day
A man over 50 who is:
Not physically active needs about 2000 calories a day
Somewhat physically active needs about 2200-2400 calories a day
Very active needs about 2400-2800 calories a day
Moderate Physical Activities
• Playing volleyball for 45–60 minutes
• Playing touch football for 45 minutes
• Walking 2 miles in 30 minutes (1 mile in 15 minutes)
• Shooting baskets for 30 minutes
• Bicycling 5 miles in 30 minutes
• Dancing fast (social) for 30 minutes
• Performing water aerobics for 30 minutes
• Swimming laps for 20 minutes
• Playing basketball for 15–20 minutes
• Jumping rope for 15 minutes
• Running 1 1/2 miles in 15 minutes (1 mile in 10 minutes)
• Washing and waxing a car for 45–60 minutes
• Washing windows or floors for 45–60 minutes
• Gardening for 30–45 minutes
• Wheeling self in wheelchair for 30–40 minutes
• Pushing a stroller 1 1/2 miles in 30 minutes
• Raking leaves for 30 minutes
• Shoveling snow for 15 minutes
• Stair walking for 15 minutes
Devora Wechter, MS RD CDN: Do Supplements Really Do a Body Good?
An audio lecture given as part of the SAGE Initiative Lectures, a joint project of Staje, the OU, and Congregation Bnai Yeshurun, Teaneck, NJ.
Listen to the other presentations here.